Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Portrait Painting

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to have a portrait sketch of me done by artist Tim Widener of the Lansing area. What a thrill to see a modern day classically trained master at work. He had a mirror set up so that I could observe the process while posing.

The results in 3 hours were amazing. A beautifully rendered sketch that really captured my spirit. This was also a training session for me that has prompted me to think of an additional direction for my artwork. I have always enjoyed drawing models at the Hannah Community Center - homing in on each model's features, modeling them into a more flattering rendering. Tim has given me the encouragement to move on to new levels, rendering the models in oils. I am very grateful and cherish his mentoring.

I am organizing a workshop for Tim in the Lansing area May 12, 19 and 26th. The workshop will be 9 hours. Emphasis will be on painting techniques to facilitate out of doors - Plein Air - painting for the individual artist. Advanced students will receive separate, more specific technical instruction. Group demonstrations will answer questions on color, paint application, simplifying forms etc. Enrollment is limited to 25 people and the cost is $135.00.

You can contact me at paintingfrenzy@gmail.com for information on reservations. Be sure to visit Tim's website at www.thwidener.com

Not to be missed! My career is moving upward as a direct result of Tim's training. I highly recommend his workshops and mentorship.

No comments: