Sunday, September 27, 2009

Going Back in Time....



Yesterday I went back in time to a period where life was simpler in some ways yet exhausting in others. The Woldumar Nature Center hosted an American Heritage Festival that was both enlightning and entertaining. People in the history of early America worked hard and depended on mother nature to provide favorable weather for the crops that fueled their very existence. It was a time where one had to work together with others and lend help to survive the trials of the times. For relaxation, the people practiced thier artistry, making elaborate designs from everything - wheat, hair, metal, wood, cloth. The designs and imagination of the time excited the artist in me!

The river boat ride on the Grand River was so relaxing and peaceful. The day was cloudy and misty at times, but the the colors on the river were just starting to show their grandeur. It was an hour long ride that included passing by the old Oldsmobile Estate. The gray herons, ducks and swans were leisurely paddling along, feasting along the way.

I made my first wheat arrangement with the help of demonstrator JoAnne Arasin, Director at the Michigan Historical Museum. The museum is also the place where I won 2nd place at an art show with my piece, Twilight Gathering.
I also just had to post this adorable bunny what was as soft as cashmere. I couldn’t believe the softness of the fur. I found him and his handler on the trails on break. He was so excited with the woods.

I wanted to mention some of the demonstrators that I enjoyed viewing: Karla – Antique Hair Brading, Kathy – Basket Making and Dried Flowers, Paul – Blacksmithing, Anson – Cast Iron Cooking, JoAnne – Wheat Weaving, Kelvin – Raven Farm Portable Saw Mill, Greater Lansing Wood Carvers, Lansing Model Railroad Club and the list goes on.

A wonderful relaxing time and many resource photos to keep me warmed up in my painting projects for the winter!

No comments: