Saturday, July 4, 2009

Painting Paradise Holiday

Diane Rath invited me to participate in a Painting Paradise Holiday from Sunday thru Thursday on Mackinac Island. Several artists were painting the island with a frenzy. I had a wonderful time painting and exploring the island. I rode my bike and hiked all over to try to see it all.

I sold two plein air paintings, a 6 x 8 and and 8 x 10 to a newlywed couple. I met with a gallery owner to discuss my future participation in the gallery and I met several wonderful people that gave complementary comments on my paintings while I was painting.

On Thursday, I left Mackinac Island to travel up to Tahquamenon Falls in the UP. I marveled at the energy created by the huge falls and wanted to capture the wonderful ice tea colored water on canvas. I was completing a study on a 6 x 8 when a couple from England came by asking if my little painting would be for sale. Of course I sold it to them, giving them a box to keep it flat until it dried. Time was running short and I wanted to get so much in - I rowed to the other side of the falls, took many pictures of both sides and then - with a ravenous appetite - decided to try out the Tahquamenon Falls Brewery and Pub. The dining experience wonderful and the white fish was so fresh! The best white fish is in the UP! I decided to try the peach beer brew and was amazed at how yummy it was. Smooth, with a hint of peach.

From there I went up to Whitefish Point up on a tip of the peninsula. Waters are treacherous up there with high winds and a beach littered with weathered, driftwood like trees. There were amazing stones of all types being washed on shore. The wind was very cold, driving the huges waves crashing into the beach. They had a shipwreck museum there to explore along with a bird watching area, trails and a lighthouse.

The trip home included a stop in Petoskey for a stop at my favorite nature store. For grins, I stopped into a Ben Franklin and took advantage of a dent sale to pick up some Gamblin supplies and paint at less than 1/2 price. What a treat.

Everything seemed to fall into place, including selling some paintings. I went without any expectations other than to enjoy the beautiful Northern Michigan!

I would like to plan this trip again next year to reach some of the attractions that I missed on this go around. Something to look forward to in the cold winter to follow.

3 comments:

Lynda Schumacher said...

This sounds like it was a wonderful experience Lily; what a great time!

Lily LaFollette - Earthy Visions LLC said...

This was truly an invigorating adventure! The best part was that you could pursue your own adventure during the day and gather in the evenings with the other artists to see what they were up to. Long days, great times!

Lily LaFollette - Earthy Visions LLC said...

Oh it was! All of us were painting fools. Another artist sold a piece too. I think it is a good idea to have gatherings. The plus part that needs to be attended to is to have a place that you can show your stuff and advertise that you will be there. The hotel that we stayed at was very supportive to us. The Great Lakes Plein Air Painters are having an outing in Traverse City in September. I hope to attend that one.